Monday 14 April 2014

THE MUPPETS MOST WANTED

After enduring an hour and half of a small child coughing and spluttering, and a man constantly rustling in a carrier bag I managed to watch The Muppets Most Wanted. Although my overall cinematic experience may have not been one of the best, (but what are you supposed to expect from a U rated film) I did enjoy the film. Although I never watched The Muppets as a child I have always had a thing for the muppets; especially Kermit the Frog! So much that I made my parents buy so 20 Cravendale milk bottles so I could get a free Kermit backpack. Oh how sad my life is! This movie follows on from the previous film which I haven't seen but I really feel like I should have. 

The overall plot of the film is about The Muppets going on a world tour, but they find themselves involved in a European jewel heist lead by a Kermit the Frog look-a-like and the infamous villain the Lemur. Domonic Badguy (Ricky Gervais) fools The Muppets to go on a world tour of Europe. Unkown to them, it is all part of a sinister scheme devised by Constantine to steal the crown jewels. Constantine swaps places with Kermit, which lands Kermit in Dulag prison for most of the film. As the plot unfolds Kermit begins to doubt the meaning of family as The Muppets don't realise that he has been swapped for Constantine.


As many of the other Muppet shows/films they involve comical and theatrical songs throughout the movie which gives the film some umf when other parts lack it. Also there are many cameo roles in the film much like their other shows/films, and I felt like I was constantly waiting to find out who the next cameo would be. A main characters (other than The Muppets) is Constantine, voiced by Matt Vogel, the main villain of this movie. Constantine is a Kermit look-a-like and manages to fool the rest of the The Muppet gang that he is Kermit. Another important character is Domonic Badguy played by Ricky Gervais. Ricky Gervais isn't one of my favoured comics/actors in the world but I have managed to over-look that to review his performance. Once again, I feel like Gervais played the same old 'I'm a nice guy/I'm a bad guy' role with a hint self doubt, but he played his role very well but I find him a very hard man to like.


If I were to criticise the movie I'd say it was slow running and pretty childish but then I guess the movie is for children and not 16 year-old teenagers who prefer action packed thrilling movies. I would recommend this movie for families with younger children as it has some simple laughs in it. Also  I would recommend it for adults who grew up watching The Muppets as my dad was nearly out of his seat laughing at some of the jokes; I can certainly say that it took him back to his younger years. It is safe to say that this film is easy-going, suitable for all and a good laugh - so if you're feeling down, this is the film for you!

  










No comments:

Post a Comment