Sunday 4 May 2014

THE OTHER WOMAN

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I knew that I would have to go and see it. To be honest, any movie with Cameron Diaz is an definite must see for me. Also the appeal of a chick flick which isn't about how everybody lives 'happily ever after' was another factor that drew me in. So basically the film is about a woman who discovers that her boyfriend has a wife, when the wife realises that Carly (Cameron Diaz) is more than just a friend she gets in touch with her. Carly and Kate (Leslie Mann) realise they have much in common and become the strangest friends you'll ever meet. Realising that there is another woman in the equation, Kate and Carly follow him and tell Amber, the third woman, about what is really happening. All three women team up and get revenge on this cheating, lying, ass of a man.


Cameron Diaz plays the main character Carly, a high-flying lawyer who has been dating Mark King (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) for a few months. She feels like he is the one, but it is not until he pulls out of meeting her dad because he has other arrangements that she begins to have doubts. When Carly unexpectedly turns up at Mark's house and surprisedly meets Kate, his wife, she definitely knows that he isn't the one. When Kate constantly keeps turning up and Carly's house and work, Carly says she will help her deal with the problem. Kate is played by Leslie Mann, I feel like she played a very good part which differs quite significantly throughout the movie. I feel like Mann has a recognisable face but I can't quite place it in any movie I've seen. Anyway, after realising that Mark is still cheating but not with either of them they follow him and meet Amber, played by Kate Upton. This is the first film i've ever seen Kate Upton in, and I can confirm that I know a girl crush on her - just one more to add to the collection.


The film has quite a lot of dry humour in it, which is what you'd expect from a chick flick. You've got Diaz as the hot lawyer with the brains of the group, Mann the self-pitying, over emotional wife and Upton, the ditzy blonde who also helps bring up the group average. To quote Carly "if you put the lawyer, the wife and the boobs together there is no way he can win." I was also quite impressed with Nicki Minaj's performance, she played Lydia, Carly's receptionist. She spins her so called "wise wisdom" of the world to Carly to try and make her feel better about the situation. 


However, I feel like the film was a bit hit and miss at times. There were some pretty big slapstick laughs but then at times I felt like it was a bit dry and lacked a comical feel. With a few more jokes and puns, it would've been up there with one of the best comedy films of the year. However, I feel like I cannot take that away from the film as it was generally very good and I did enjoy it. It made me relax after having a pretty stressful week. Anyway, what's not to like about watching three hot women take their revenge on a scumbag man who doesn't know what is about to hit him.








No comments:

Post a Comment